RUSSIAN FOUNDATION FOR BASIC RESEARCH ERASMUS+ JEAN MONNET NETWORK PEACE, WAR AND THE WORLD IN EUROPEAN SECURITY CHALLENGES POWERS VORONEZH STATE UNIVERSITY ASSOCIATION OF EUROPEAN STUDIES Voronezh State University 1, Universitetskaya Square, Voronezh Summary of the programme 16-17 October 2019
- ■ International scientific conference "“Regional strategies of international security: EU Member States, Middle East and Russia”".
- ■ Coordinating meeting of the Erasmus+ JM Network “Peace, War and the World in European Security Challenges – POWERS”.
- ■ Student forum “International security: perspective of young international relations scholars”.
The systemic nature of international problems, the conflict in relations between Russia, the USA and the EU, the plurality of development models of countries and regions, the impasse in the formation of the European security system, different approaches to perception of regional and global threats lead to a vacuum of trust and governance.
Processes in contemporary international relations require different approaches, methods, and toolkits. One of the basic concepts becomes the common definition of "threats to peace and security”. Identification of common threats will allow to develop a consolidated position on the key risks and challenges of our time common for the world’s leading actors.
The international scientific conference “Regional strategies of international security: EU Member States, Middle East and Russia” aims to discuss the global security problems, its geopolitical, sociocultural and religious factors, to investigate categories of threats and risks, including potential ones, and peculiarities of their diverse visions in the three mentioned regions. The conference will also allow to develop conceptual framework of the agenda, including the concept of «threat to peace and security», to identify points of stability and criteria of international security, to develop approaches to setting regional security strategies.
The conference will assemble the foremost scholars in the field of international relations, security, EU studies, diplomacy, international law, politics, history, theology and social and cultural studies, human rights, nationalism, migration and extremism prevention from top level institutions of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Jordan, Turkey as well as the leading universities and research centres of Russia such as Institute of Europe of RAS, Primakov Institute of World Economy and International Relations of RAS and others.
The conference is of relevance to diplomats and civil society representatives. In the frame of four specialized panels, they will address speeches and will contribute to the debate aiming to give expert assessment of the current events and generate modern understandings of international security beyond the state-of-the-art.
Scope for panels and discussions:
- ■ Threats to European security: common challenges and differences in the approaches of Russia, the EU and the countries of the Middle East.
- ■ Regional approaches to ensuring international security: Russia, the EU and the Middle East.
- ■ European security and migration issues.
- ■ Identity policy as a tool of security policy.
The working languages of the conference are English and Russian with simultaneous translation.
It is planned to publish a collection of articles of the conference participants in the printed edited volume of Vision Paper and their subsequent placement in the E-library.RU (the most influential scholarly library in Russia based on citation analysis) in the frame of its project - the Russian Science Citation Index.
We invite paper that examine one or more aspects of the theme from all disciplines and related areas. We hope the conference will address the topic in a variety of ways and from a range of perspectives.
- ■ A registration form and the paper titles with short abstracts in the language of the speech due 3 June 2019.
- ■ Confirmation of participation and notification of the abstract acceptance due 14 June 2019.
- ■ Collection of scientific articles for publication due 1 July 2019.
Submission guidelines — http://powers-network.vsu.ru/UserFiles/files/events/2019/Voronezh/Submission_Guidelines%20for%20conference%20papers.pdf (EN) http://powers-network.vsu.ru/UserFiles/files/events/2019/Voronezh/Submission_Guidelines%20for%20conference%20papers%20rus.pdf (RU)
Official page of the event — http://euspace.vsu.ru/ru/conference2019
Dr. Alla Akulshina Coordinator of the Jean Monnet Network POWERS Head of the Department of International Projects and Programmes at VSU Member of Board of the Association of European Studies akulshina @ vsu.ru Tel.: +7-473-220-75-26; +7-473-220-70-37